Sunday, January 27, 2013

Evolutionarily Stable Strategy

A lot of the subtle details of the design of the Dendrite Network are misunderstood or missed entirely when people first hear about it, and at least some of this is due to the fact that the D.N. is an evolutionarily stable strategy (ESS).

Unlike most business models and indeed most human planning, the D.N. model cannot be replaced by a competing model.  Put another way, any potential improvement to the D.N. that could not be symmetrically adopted by the all the users would be spontaneously rejected, and any potential improvement to the D.N. that could be symmetrically adopted by the all the users would be, and therefore become the Dendrite Network.

By defining the D.N. in terms of a service or goal, rather than a static institution that has to maintain itself to maintain itself, all possible competition is obviated.

This is literally true: If you can invent a better network I will immediately quit work on this one and join yours. Anything else would be stupid.

However, it is extremely unlikely that you can improve on the current version. I am very good at what I do, and I have been thinking about this system for over twenty years.

(At this point it is customary for the listener to inquire along these lines: "If this is so good, why aren't we using it already?"  Of course this seems like a bright question, but in fact is stark idiocy, and I never have any idea how to answer it.  The answer obviously is, "I have no fucking clue why people refuse to do the blatantly obvious better things that are all around them." I am not in that department.  I am in the department of solutions, and I have them all, but very very few people are actually interested.  It is shocking. I am shocked.  It's not like I need the D.N.  I'm not the one who is rapidly being totally economically marginalized faster and faster every day.)

The D.N. captures the fundamental essence of a public-meme-spreading network.  The "campaigns" and usage patterns that run on top of it (like websites "running" on the web) are subject to wild evolution, but the underlying network is not really going to need to change much.

No comments: